AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Treatment of KS after Doxil and Taxol? What's next?

My partner has systemic chemo-resistant KS. In the last two years he has undergone radiation therapy, Doxil therapy (failed after 4 months) and now a combination of Taxol and Thalidomide for the last 15 months in addition to HAART (CD4 <50 & viral load undectable). The Taxol is beginning to fail. What if any treatments are available after the Taxol fails?

Response from Dr. Dezube

KS usually responds to the agents you listed, but on occasion resistant KS does develop, In my own practice, such resistance is fortunately quite rare. Sometimes it's a matter of pushing on the Taxol a bit harder. Is he getting it every two weeks? In patients, who get Taxol every 2 weeks, it's often necessary to give G-CSF (neupogen) and Procrit to keep the white cells and red cells robust. Depending upon your geographic location, there are a series of inestigational angiogenesis inhibitors (agents which block new blood vessel formation) which may be available to him. Other chemotherapy agents which work for KS are the combination of bleomycin/vincristine or the single agent vinorelbine. His oncologist should be familiar with these agents. If you want, his oncologist can call me. I'm listed with the oncology societies. GOOD LUCK.

Lymphoma and a CD4 count of 271-- Is it possible to come down with PCP pneumonia?
Do HIV drugs prevent lymphoma from popping up?