Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment of KS after Doxil and Taxol? What's next?
Aug 18, 2001

My partner has systemic chemo-resistant KS. In the last two years he has undergone radiation therapy, Doxil therapy (failed after 4 months) and now a combination of Taxol and Thalidomide for the last 15 months in addition to HAART (CD4 <50 & viral load undectable). The Taxol is beginning to fail. What if any treatments are available after the Taxol fails?

Response from Dr. Dezube

KS usually responds to the agents you listed, but on occasion resistant KS does develop, In my own practice, such resistance is fortunately quite rare. Sometimes it's a matter of pushing on the Taxol a bit harder. Is he getting it every two weeks? In patients, who get Taxol every 2 weeks, it's often necessary to give G-CSF (neupogen) and Procrit to keep the white cells and red cells robust. Depending upon your geographic location, there are a series of inestigational angiogenesis inhibitors (agents which block new blood vessel formation) which may be available to him. Other chemotherapy agents which work for KS are the combination of bleomycin/vincristine or the single agent vinorelbine. His oncologist should be familiar with these agents. If you want, his oncologist can call me. I'm listed with the oncology societies. GOOD LUCK.

Previous
Lymphoma and a CD4 count of 271-- Is it possible to come down with PCP pneumonia?
Next
Do HIV drugs prevent lymphoma from popping up?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.