AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Blue Green Algae-- Is it safe to take with chemotherapy?

A friend of mine has been taking Blue green algae for sometime. He said his CD4 count and his general feeling of wellness are improved. I am currently on chemotherapy for lymphoma (cytoxan, VP-16, and BCNU). Plus on and off the dreaded Prednisone, which really messes with my head. My last numbers are CD4 271 and VL undectable <50. Is this supplement safe to take? I just want to feel well again.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although I can't say that I'm very familiar with blue green algae, the question of supplements/alternative medicines comes up quite frequently. For the most part these suppplements are safe, but data showing their effectiveness is sorely lacking. Furthermore, studies on how these supplements are matabolized are also lacking. I tell my patients that if they do chose to use such supplements, then they should refrain from doing so for 1 day prior and 1 day after chemotherapy. By doing so, the potential for an interaction between these supplements and the chemotherapy can be minimized. I neither condemn nor condone the use of supplements. It is important that you let your treating oncologist know.

Life after a Brain Tumor; my worries go on!
Lymphoma and a CD4 count of 271-- Is it possible to come down with PCP pneumonia?