Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My brother Has lymphoma; Is it worth it to go through all the treatments?
Aug 12, 2001

My brother is 50 yrs old and has been HIV+ for over 15 yrs and on various treatments for 10 yrs. His CD4 cells are nada; his viral load over 200,000. He has just been diagnosed with stage 2 lymphoma and is scheduled to begin chemo and radiation soon. He is considering not doing it because of the potential side effects. Right now, he's anemic and has problems with bone marrow production. Is chemo and radiation worth it at this point? Do persons in his general health really benefit from treatment? He wants my advice, but I don't know what to say. Thanks, Jill.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Jill: You ask a very emotion-packed question. Should your brother undergo therapy for lymphoma or should he "throw in the towel"? There's no way I can really answer this for your brother. In general, lymphoma is VERY treatable; i.e. it responds well to chemotherapy and/or radiation. I therefore encourage my patients with lymphoma, at the very least, to try the treatments. Your brother has the right to change his mind at any time. I imagine your brother has been through a lot-- 15 years HIV positive, no CD4 cells, high viral load. I'm sure he's had a long, long time to think of the challenge which is now before him. He is lucky to have a supportive sister like you. I wish him and you luck in this trying time. BD.

Previous
If I have cancer surgery will doctors test me for HIV?
Next
What should I do about the lump in my armpit?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.