AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

If I have cancer surgery will doctors test me for HIV?

When you are diagnosed with cancer and have surgery do doc's test for HIV?

Response from Dr. Dezube

This is a good question. Obviously whether or not your doctor tests you depends on the doctor. When I see a patient with one of the cancers which can be related to HIV, such as lymphoma, Kaposi's, anal cancer, cervical cancer, or Hodgkin's disease, then I do indeed test the patient for HIV. HOWEVER, no doctor can test you for HIV without your permission. If you do have cancer and a health provider approaches you to ask you for permission to be tested for HIV, then I would urge you to agree to such testing. If you are to receive cancer treatment, it can often be very helpful for your cancer doctor to know your HIV status. BD.

Kaposi's & Partner Counseling; My partner is freaking out; Can I dump him into the Hudson River?
My brother Has lymphoma; Is it worth it to go through all the treatments?