AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Day #3 of chemotherapy-- How long will the side effects last?

I have just recieved my 1st chemotherapy treatment w/ DaunoXome. The nausea I am fighting with light meals and Prochlorperazine. I am on my 3rd day and am wondering if I am going to feel like this constantly or will the side effects eventually go away or subside. How long does the chemo stay in your body for and how is it eliminated? My treatment calls for every 2 weeks, I am trying to gauge what is and will happen to me after that. Thank You.

Response from Dr. Dezube

DaunoXome is a good agent for Kaposi's sarcoma. The chemotherapy is packaged in liposomes which make the chemotherapy more effective and less toxic. Typically by the third day your side effects should subside. If the nausea is bad and you feel washed out from this chemo, then talk to your physician about getting treatment with kytril, anzamet, or zofran at the time of the DaunoXome. Any one of these drugs (potent anti-nausea pills) should prevent the nausea on the 2nd cycle. They are VERY effective. Also you didn't describe the state of your Kaposi's sarcoma (KS). Unless you have very aggresssive disease, I usually treat patients every 3 weeks. It's more gentle on the body and still does a good job on the KS. It's a judgment call as to whether you get the DaunoXome every 2 weeks or every 3 weeks. See how the 2nd cycle works with one of those three potent anti-nausea drugs, and then decide with your provider if you should back off to every 3 weeks. Good luck. Please keep me posted.

How does KS look? Can KS blanch (turn white wehn you press on it)?
Kaposi's & Partner Counseling; My partner is freaking out; Can I dump him into the Hudson River?