The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and Lymphoma...are they related?
Dec 4, 1997

It is more likely that an HIV infected male would develop lymphoma (found in a brain tumor) than on who is uninfected?

If lymphoma can and often in HIV-related, what is the most common treatment if Chemotherapy is difficult to use. Our 37 year old son has just had a lymphoma removed from the brain. While the neurosurgeon and infectious disease doctor think that they got the source of the tumor, we realize that once it is in the lymph system, it can and usually does travel. There is no family history of lymphoma. We are concerned about the most effective treatment under the serious conditions that exist. The young man has been

up until this, doing well with the "cocktail" medications.


Response from Dr. Gallant

I'm sorry to hear about your son.

Lyphoma involving the brain is much more likely to occur in someone with HIV infection (usually advanced) than someone without HIV infection. The treatment for "primary CNS (central nervous system) lymphoma" is usually neither surgery nor chemotherapy but radiation therapy to the brain, although studies of chemotherapy are also being carried out. In contrast, treatment of other HIV-related lymphomas (those occuring outside of the brain) is with chemotherapy.

If that's what your son has--primary CNS lymphoma rather than non-CNS lymphoma that has spread to the brain from somewhere else--then there is little risk of spread to other areas. The main risk is of spread within the brain itself. JG

Have we all been exposed to KSHV (HHV-8)?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint