AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Negative Gallium Scan. Do I need to complete the chemotherapy?

I have HIV-related lymphoma. I had my Gallium scan today and i was told it's a totally negative scan. Last March my left groin was positive and my liver lit up. I'm still under going chemotherapy. What does this mean? Is the lymphoma gone? I still have 2 and 1/2 cycles to go before I complete all 6 cycles. Do I still need to complete the chemotherapy?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm happy to hear that your gallium scan is negative. A gallium is a type of scan which shows active lymphoma. A negative gallium scan means that your lymphoma is not active. HOWEVER, you absolutely need to complete all six cycles of chemotherapy in order to kill any small tumor seeds which would not be picked up by the gallium scan. Although no one can ever guarantee you that your lymphoma won't come back, you can decrease your chances of having the lymphoma come back by completing the full course of treatment (6 cycles of chemotherapy). Hang in there-- it sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck. BD.

Do my lymph nodes harbor lymphoma?
Chemotherapy and radiation for anal cancer? Can HIV positive patients get these therapies?