Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do my lymph nodes harbor lymphoma?
Aug 3, 2001

I have enlarged lymphnodes in my groin and under my jawline. I can see a lump in my throat near the back of my tounge. i have not experienced any itchy skin nor fevers or night sweats. Does this sound like lymphoma? I have heard that the salivary glands can enlarge and look like lumps.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I can't tell from your query whether you are HIV positive or not. Lymph node swelling is very common both in HIV positive and negative individuals, but more so in HIV positive folks. Most swollen lymph nodes represent the body's attempt at fighting off infections. Some lymph nodes can harbor more serious illnesses (such as lymphoma). The bottom line is that any lymph which persists should be evaluated by a health care provider. Often it is necessary to have a biopsy of an abnormal lymph node to find out what's going on, particularly if a few lymph nodes are way out of proportion to other lymph nodes, or if you have systemic symptoms (fever, chills, night sweats, or weight loss). The majority of lymph nodes however can be left alone.

Previous
Screening for anal warts (Anal PAP smears)
Next
Negative Gallium Scan. Do I need to complete the chemotherapy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.