AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

How long does it take a Kaposi's sarcoma lesion to mature?

How long does it typically take for a flat red kaposi's sarcoma lesion to develop into a purple nodule type in an HIV positive patient, in an HIV negative immuno-suppressed patient, and lastly in the classical case found in older eastern european males? Days, Weeks, Month, Years. Any ballpark estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You are probably not going to like my answer because the fact is I can't give you an answer. In some patients KS can be very aggressive and new purple nodules can appear on a daily basis. In other patients KS progresses very slowly, if at all. The pace can take years. I've seen both patterns (ie. slow and fast patterns) in HIV-positive KS as well as in HIV- negative KS, though typically the pace of HIV-negative KS is slower than that of HIV-positive KS. So the answer to your question of how long it takes is "days, weeks, months, or years"-- They are all correct answers. BD.

further Kaposi lesions despite a CD4 count of 830-- Is this a concern?
Itchy skin-- It's driving me crazy!!