Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long does it take a Kaposi's sarcoma lesion to mature?
Jul 29, 2001

How long does it typically take for a flat red kaposi's sarcoma lesion to develop into a purple nodule type in an HIV positive patient, in an HIV negative immuno-suppressed patient, and lastly in the classical case found in older eastern european males? Days, Weeks, Month, Years. Any ballpark estimate would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You are probably not going to like my answer because the fact is I can't give you an answer. In some patients KS can be very aggressive and new purple nodules can appear on a daily basis. In other patients KS progresses very slowly, if at all. The pace can take years. I've seen both patterns (ie. slow and fast patterns) in HIV-positive KS as well as in HIV- negative KS, though typically the pace of HIV-negative KS is slower than that of HIV-positive KS. So the answer to your question of how long it takes is "days, weeks, months, or years"-- They are all correct answers. BD.

Previous
further Kaposi lesions despite a CD4 count of 830-- Is this a concern?
Next
Itchy skin-- It's driving me crazy!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.