AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

My brother's AIDS-related lymphoma. Will he be okay?

Hi Dr. Dezube I wrote to you not to long ago regarding my brother who has AIDS related lymphoma of the liver. He has finished his 8th session of CHOP. His cancer is still intact tumor has shrunk somewhat but the good news is that he has finally stated his HIV meds sustiva + epivir. Do you think this will help with his tumor. He will be starting some radiation shortly. He says he feels a little stronger already. Do you think he could recover from all these months of suffering with chemo. Or even better this lymphoma could go into remission. Thank you for all your kind words and your help

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm pleased to hear that your brother has started HIV meds. Although there is no guarantee that his lymphoma won't come back, the very fact that he is taking HIV meds is probably the best thing he can do in terms of assuring that his cancer remains in remission. Your statement "cancer is intact tumor has shrunk" is confusing. I'm not sure what you mean by that. It would be good to know what his gallium scan shows (assuming this was done). If his gallium scan after 8 cycles is negative, then this would increase his chances of having the tumor stay in remission. I'm glad he's already feeling better. I wish both you and him luck.

Weird dark spots on my body
Indeterminate HIV test- Confused & Desperate