Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My brother's AIDS-related lymphoma. Will he be okay?
Jul 7, 2001

Hi Dr. Dezube I wrote to you not to long ago regarding my brother who has AIDS related lymphoma of the liver. He has finished his 8th session of CHOP. His cancer is still intact tumor has shrunk somewhat but the good news is that he has finally stated his HIV meds sustiva + epivir. Do you think this will help with his tumor. He will be starting some radiation shortly. He says he feels a little stronger already. Do you think he could recover from all these months of suffering with chemo. Or even better this lymphoma could go into remission. Thank you for all your kind words and your help

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm pleased to hear that your brother has started HIV meds. Although there is no guarantee that his lymphoma won't come back, the very fact that he is taking HIV meds is probably the best thing he can do in terms of assuring that his cancer remains in remission. Your statement "cancer is intact tumor has shrunk" is confusing. I'm not sure what you mean by that. It would be good to know what his gallium scan shows (assuming this was done). If his gallium scan after 8 cycles is negative, then this would increase his chances of having the tumor stay in remission. I'm glad he's already feeling better. I wish both you and him luck.

Previous
Weird dark spots on my body
Next
Indeterminate HIV test- Confused & Desperate

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.