AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Warts in urethra

the wart in my uretha, keeps comming back, is this a sign my immune system is failing, my last T-count was 385, viral load-- 20,000

Response from Dr. Dezube

Persistent warts in the urethra or in other locations is NOT necessarily a sign of a failing immune system. Warts are caused by infection by the HPV (human papillomavirus). Many patients with very health immune systems have such warts.

Warts in the urethra are particular tough to get rid of. They can be removed by a urologist. Obviously the better the control of your HIV virus, the better the control of your urethral warts. In severe cases, patients on occasion are treated with interferon. There's no easy fix for this, but you should be seen frequently and have your warts removed as much as possible.

There's real hope in the not so distant future. There are two different vaccines being tested against such warts. Although the results of early clinical trials are preliminary, they are indeed promising. Hopefully over the next few years these vaccines will either be approved or at least more widely available through clinical trials.

What is lymphadenopathy ?? Should I be worried?
Weird dark spots on my body