AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HHV-6-- How is is related to HIV?

Is HHV-6 a forerunner to HIV or related to HIV? If you contract HHV-6 does it mean you will eventually become HIV POSITIVE?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's been a really long time since I've had an HHV-6 infection. This is probably because of all the work on HHV-8, such that people have seem to dropped HHV-6 from their radar screen.

HHV-6 is a member of the herpesvirus family. Despite numerous studies demonstrating significant interactions between HIV and HHV-6 in the test tube, to my knowledge, NO clinical disease has been documented to be caused by HHV-6.

So to answer your questions specifically, HHV-6 is NOT a forerunner to HIV; HHV-6 is NOT related to HIV; and if you contract HHV-6, this does NOT mean that you will eventually become HIV positive.

Lastly I do NOT recommend that patients be tested for HHV-6!

Confused & desperate over a high white cell count
What is lymphadenopathy ?? Should I be worried?