AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Recovery from Brain Lymphoma-- What are the Chances?

In January of 2000, my partner was diagnosed with AIDS after having PCP. In April he developed Cerebral (Brain) Lymphoma which left him paralyzed on his right side and loss of speech. His health declined until September, however to date he has made a slight recovery and regained some movement on his right side and speaking a few words. My question is what are his chances of making a complete or near complete recovery?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm sorry to hear about your partner. His recovery will depend greatly upon what's happening to his CD4 count and viral load. If for instance, he was newly diagnosed with HIV and has only recently been on HIV meds, then as his CD4 count rises, he may recover quite a bit of function. On the other hand, if his lymphoma had developed after being on HIV therapy for many, many years, then his CD4 count may not rise as much, and his recovery may be slower. In general, the more severe the paralysis, the harder it is to recover. So there is indeed hope, but that really depends upon what happening to his HIV. Good luck.

Pokeweek Antiviral Protein
Hodgkins and HIV; Will my CD4 counts go up? What's the Likelihood of Relapsing?