Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Strong fear of Kaposi's sarcoma and HIV
Jun 24, 2001

i am a woman of 24 years. Over the past year I have developed skin lesions on my thighs and legs. It started with only one spot that grew larger and larger, now I discover new spots quite often. I have seen a few doctors, but they only prescribe me antifungals, which have no effect at all. This past week I discovered two more spots on my arms, and I fear that it might spread to my face. Some of the bigger lesions have faded in color, and I have small hope that they will all disappear, but as I read about Kaposi's sarcoma I fear that this is excactly what I have. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You need to find out what you have. The only sure way to do this is to have a biopsy of one of your spots. It's a relatively minor procedure that can be done by your dermatologist or other provider. Since you're concerned about HIV, I would recommend that you get tested for HIV. Knowledge is power. Go for these tests and get on with your life.

Previous
White blood count- racial differences
Next
Should I have surgery for my KS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.