AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Strong fear of Kaposi's sarcoma and HIV

i am a woman of 24 years. Over the past year I have developed skin lesions on my thighs and legs. It started with only one spot that grew larger and larger, now I discover new spots quite often. I have seen a few doctors, but they only prescribe me antifungals, which have no effect at all. This past week I discovered two more spots on my arms, and I fear that it might spread to my face. Some of the bigger lesions have faded in color, and I have small hope that they will all disappear, but as I read about Kaposi's sarcoma I fear that this is excactly what I have. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You need to find out what you have. The only sure way to do this is to have a biopsy of one of your spots. It's a relatively minor procedure that can be done by your dermatologist or other provider. Since you're concerned about HIV, I would recommend that you get tested for HIV. Knowledge is power. Go for these tests and get on with your life.

White blood count- racial differences
Should I have surgery for my KS