AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

White blood count- racial differences

Is it true that African-Americans have a lower white blood count than Caucasians? Last year May, I went for a regular blood test and the doctor said, everything was fine, except that my white blood count is a little low that normal but said it's commom among Africans. Could it be that am HIV infected? and i am scared of taking a test.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Your doctor is indeed correct. African-Americans tend to run lower white blood cell counts than Caucasians. This difference in white count causes no illness, and is nothing more than an interesting laboratory result. It has NOTHING to do with HIV.

If you are concerned that you might be HIV-infected, then by all means, go get tested. Knowledge is power.

re:Limphoma of the tonsil.Can it be masked by infection?
Strong fear of Kaposi's sarcoma and HIV