AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

re:Limphoma of the tonsil.Can it be masked by infection?

Dear Dr.Dezube, You already answered to me once (lymphoma of the tonsil.Can it be masked by infection?) and you were so kind to tell me to write back to you. As you suggested, I cured the underlying infection with no improvement and I finally underwent left tonsillectomy. Again the pathological findings showed no sign of lymphoma :"tonsil mucosa with follicular secondary hyperplasia and intense plasmocytosis.A vascular component is present,linked to a granulation tissue probably due to a previous biopsy".I would like to ask your qualified opinion about this uncommon finding. Daniel

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Daniel: It sounds like you lucked out and that you don't have lymphoma. What you do have is an exuberant immune response. The term "follicular hyperplasia" is really just a fancy term for a large lymph node. These large lymph nodes, which are NOT cancerous, are reasonably common in HIV+ patients who still have a decent immune system. Nothing needs to be done about your tonsils given the pathologic diagnosis which you provided me. BD.

If you have Kaposi's sarcoma, do you have AIDS?
White blood count- racial differences