AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Why no studies on healthy HIV patients? This is appaling. Doctors are of little use.

Hi, I have been HIV positive for 15+ years. I find it amazing how, in all that time, I have yet to hear of ANY study on HEALTHY HIV patients. Studying people already sick with this or that seems a waste of time. Why would anyone think a sick person can tell you anything except how to be sick? I do not take meds, I smoke, I generally do what I like and am basically a happy person. EVERYONE I've known on cocktails, etc... are dead. I think 15+ years of living with HIV gives me plenty of insight that NO medical doctor seems to be able to match at this point. I now find doctors are of little use, and appalling that nothing is done to study healthy people with HIV... I do not believe I am simply 'lucky'. That's a cop-out and means nothing. I am VERY physically aware.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I chose to post your response since you have expressed many strong feelings which most providers have heard mentioned before. I'm glad to hear that you say "I'm a happy person, I smoke, and I do what I like". Obviously this works for you. I do take issue with many of your comments.

First, there are inumerable studies which have been conducted, which are being conducted, and which will be conducted on healthy HIV patients. Just because you may not be aware of them does not mean they don't exist. Many patients in this bracket (healthy HIV) are participating in very exciting vaccine studies.

Second, if I were a sick HIV patient, I think I would find your query a bit begrudging. Sick patients tell researchers and HIV providers much about the disease processes. Many many currently approved treatments have saved countless number of lives. These treatments are available now solely becuase many volunteers/pioneers gave of themselves by participating in clinical trials. Many of these volunteers are in my own practice. My hat goes off to them. I only wish they could at some point talk to you. They are indeed brave souls; they have often ventured where no man/woman has gone before in a quest to bring to the HIV+ community new life-saving drugs.

As for your comment that doctors are of little use, I imagine that I won't sway your opinion. I do hope that as time passes, you'll soften your views a bit. Your hard-line is just that.

Why do doctors give me conflicting information about HIV testing? I am soooooooooo confused,
Internal anal warts and their treatment.