Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are the symptoms of HHV-8, the virus that causes Kaposi's sarcoma?
Jun 17, 2001

What are the symtoms of HHV-8, are they the same as HIV? I have already tested negative for HIV but I know that there is something wrong.

Thanks pw

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear PW: It's hard enough when you have to worry about HIV. Now it looks like HHV-8 is giving you something to worry about. HHV-8, also known as Kaposi's sarcoma herpesvirus, is the virus that causes Kaposi's sarcoma (KS). Most people, who get infected with HHV-8, don't even know they have it. Most people have no symptoms when they get infected. HHV-8 is very different than HIV in that many, if not most folks, who contract HHV-8 will NOT develop any diseases. In other words, even if you contracted HHV-8, this does not necessarily mean you will develop KS. HHV-8 is a very common virus in the Mediterranean region (Italy, Greece), yet most of the folks who live in that region do NOT develop disease even if they are infected with HHV-8. Similarly many people live with a whole variety of viruses, most of which don't cause clinical disease. If you have both an HHV-8 and an HIV infection, than you stand about a 50% chance of coming down with KS-- These data are based on an article which appeared in the New England Journal of Medicine. So to answer your question, what are the symptoms?-- the answer is usually there are no symptoms. BD.

Previous
KS on the vocal cord; what are my chances?
Next
Why do doctors give me conflicting information about HIV testing? I am soooooooooo confused,

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.