AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Lymphoma

Four years ago I had Non Hodgkins lymphoma. to this point I have had no re-occurance and would like to know if there is a reason for this and Should I still be Concerned about the Lymphoma returning at this time. I have been on Zerit, Epiver and Crixivan for a year and my viral load has dropped and t- cell count went from 2 to 300 in a short period of time. I still have enlarged lymphs but they appear to not change and all test and biopsy show up negative. I guess this question is for piece of mind more then anything else and would appreciate your input. So far no one can tell me the reason why I got the Lymphoma at a T-cell count of 450 and why it hasn't returned , Needless to say I am greatful but again yor input would be Appreciated Thank You

Response from Dr. Cohen

Like Kaposi's sarcoma, lymphoma is one of those diseases that does not require a low CD4 cell count to occur. It can happen at almost any stage of disease. The prognosis is highly dependent on the CD4 count, though. People who develop lymphoma with a high count may do well, while the prognosis is much worse at low CD4 counts. It is not at all uncommon for people who develop lymphomas at early stage HIV disease to have prolonged remissions or cures.

I haven't answered your "why" questions very well, but I can at least tell you that you're not unusual and that you have every reason to be optimistic.

Karposi's Sarcoma - Pulmonary
Testosterone/DHEA supplements and KS