AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

KS on the vocal cord; what are my chances?

My doctor just recommended that I undergo chemotherapy using Doxil.

I have KS on my face, eyelids, lip, in my mouth and on other parts of my body.

However, I have a lesion on my vocal box causing hoarseness. The vocal cords themselves are still operational.

One doctor said the lesions will shrink noticeably from the chemo.

If I undergo chemo, what are the chances that my lesions will shrink (or will they "disappear"?). ...and any feelings on the new drug Doxil?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I agree with your doctor that you need chemotherapy given that you have KS lesions on the vocal cord. Typically they respond VERY well to chemotherapy. The best chemotherapy agents to start with are the liposomal products. There are two on the market (Doxil and DaunoXome); they are both quite effective. The liposomal membrane enables them to concentrate in the KS lesions, and to avoid, for the most part, your vital organs. As a consequence, most likely your tumors will shrink nicely and you will NOT suffer hair loss.

I firmly believe that virtually all patients with HIV-related KS should be taking highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). HAART helps the chemotherapy work better. HAART also helps prevent new KS lesions.

Good luck. You should do well.

pediatric hearing loss in hiv+ child
What are the symptoms of HHV-8, the virus that causes Kaposi's sarcoma?