AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Are "Mono" and HIV related?

I have tested positive for "Mono" three times in the last 4 years. Would a positive Mono test be reason to be tested for HIV? I have no sore throat, night sweats, or any other possible symtoms.

Response from Dr. Dezube

"Mono", also known as infectious mononucleosis, is caused by the EBV virus, which is a member of the herpes family. It is quite different from the HIV virus. Mononucleosis does not lead to HIV infection, and HIV infection does not lead to mononucleosis. Also the routes of transmission for mononucleosis are quite different than the routes of transmission of HIV. Mononucleosis is spread quite readily by saliva, whereas HIV is not.

HIV/AIDS and Breast Cancer.
Re hip pain question