Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is it leukemia or is it HIV??
Jun 2, 2001

A friend of mine went to see her GP after a rather extended illness, she was diagnosed with leukemia. When she went to her oncologist, would the oncologist run additional tests to confirm the GP's diagnosis, or, would he go with the findings of the GP? What i am asking is, would the oncologist be able to see that it wasnt leukemia, but rather, maybe HIV?

Response from Dr. Dezube

It is the responsibility of every oncologist to confirm the diagnosis of the referring physician. Sometimes this requires additional testing; sometimes it does not. In terms of leukemia, often the diagnosis is quite obvious. Sometimes, depending on the type of leukemia, specialized tests are necessary either on the blood or the bone marrow. It would be UNUSUAL for a doctor to mistake leukemia for HIV or vice versa. They do indeed present with different type of pictures, and the blood smears look quite different.

Previous
My brother has lymphoma; should he start HIV meds?
Next
Antibody testing vs other tests-- which is the best?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.