Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared; Guys in the waiting room have died!
Jun 1, 2001

Dr Dezube,thanks for your caring and kindness.I'm currently undergoing my second round of chemotherapy for NHL,everyone keeps telling me you'll be fine its very treatable,but since starting treatment 2 guys have died ,I use to see them when i was having treatments in my doctors office.If this is so treatable then why are people still dying from NHL?I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. I've only been Positive two years.I know people who abuse drugs,stay out all night,and have been pos 10 plus years and are fine.I don't understand this at all.I go from neg to AIDS in a matter of 16 months,dosen't make sense.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I feel for you. The first thing I want to emphasize is that everyone's case is unique. It's hard, really hard, to see a fellow patient who has your same disease die. Often there may be important differences between his(her) disease and yours. Often you may not be aware of the differences, and because of confidentiality issues, your doctor may not be able to discuss the dearly departed patients with you. You just got to count your blessing if you're doing well. It is NOT unusual to go from negative to AIDS in a matter of 16 months. I can appreciate the unfairness in this all as you have written. Good luck and hang in there. BD.

Previous
Is HHV8 deadly?
Next
My brother has lymphoma; should he start HIV meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.