Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neutropenia (low white count) from nowhere
Jun 1, 2001

Dear Doc, I've written you a number of times- I'm the one with NHL who has continuous problems with CHOP! I have had three treatments and declared "in remission" I went to have my fourth round today (after a 9 week break due to removal of appendix and subsequent opening of the incision-it's alway something).When they checked my blood before beginning I was neutropenic - ANC 240. Where did this come from? My oncologist told me to contact my Infections Disease Doc. My HIV meds are kaletra, zerit and viramune. I did start these meds about 3 months ago, but my counts were great as of 3weeks ago. Any thoughts? I don't think I'm every going to get this CHOP overwith-I've been going at it since December!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hang in there buddy-- it sounds like you're approaching the end of your treatments. Neutropenia (low white count) is common in patients with HIV-related tumors. The longer you are on chemo, the more common it is to have low counts. I can understand that it seems that the low count came from "nowhere". In reality it's from the combination of your recent surgery, stress, HIV, cancer, and chemotherapy. Fortunately there is a drug, G-CSF, which can take care of your neutropenia. You should be taking G-CSF if you are not already doing so. GOOD LUCK. You are almost at the finish line. BD.

Previous
Metastatic Tumor posted Mar. 2
Next
Brain tumor, question of HIV status

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.