AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Neutropenia (low white count) from nowhere

Dear Doc, I've written you a number of times- I'm the one with NHL who has continuous problems with CHOP! I have had three treatments and declared "in remission" I went to have my fourth round today (after a 9 week break due to removal of appendix and subsequent opening of the incision-it's alway something).When they checked my blood before beginning I was neutropenic - ANC 240. Where did this come from? My oncologist told me to contact my Infections Disease Doc. My HIV meds are kaletra, zerit and viramune. I did start these meds about 3 months ago, but my counts were great as of 3weeks ago. Any thoughts? I don't think I'm every going to get this CHOP overwith-I've been going at it since December!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Hang in there buddy-- it sounds like you're approaching the end of your treatments. Neutropenia (low white count) is common in patients with HIV-related tumors. The longer you are on chemo, the more common it is to have low counts. I can understand that it seems that the low count came from "nowhere". In reality it's from the combination of your recent surgery, stress, HIV, cancer, and chemotherapy. Fortunately there is a drug, G-CSF, which can take care of your neutropenia. You should be taking G-CSF if you are not already doing so. GOOD LUCK. You are almost at the finish line. BD.

Metastatic Tumor posted Mar. 2
Brain tumor, question of HIV status