Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Anemia and Blood in rectum
May 30, 2001

My husband just found out he was HIV+ the end of March; the end of April we found out his viral load was 14,500 and CD4 cells were 250. The doctor says he may have had this for as long as 12 years. Well now his blood count is a little low 12.3 and they found blood in his rectum. I am scared can you give me some advice. Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

In terms of his HIV, he should do okay if he starts HIV therapy. I'll adress the anemia and blood in the rectum. This needs to be evaluated. Blood in the rectum can be due to bleeding from ulcers, tumors, hemorrhoids and so on. If the source is high up in the gastrointestinal tract, such as in the stomach, you often don't see bright red blood, but rather just the anemia and darkening of the stool; if the bleeding is lower down, such as in the anal area, then the bleeding often if bright red blood. Depending on your husband's circumstance, he may need to have a colonscopy (fiber optics up the rectum) or gastroscopy (fiber optics down the esophagus). Alot depends on the individual circumstances. I appeciate your fear, Stay upbeat. Most, if not all of the conditions you describe, are quite treatable- that goes for the HIV, for the anemia, and for the bleeding. BD.

Previous
Timing of KS after exposure to HIV
Next
Metastatic Tumor posted Mar. 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.