Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long does it take to develop lymphoma
May 28, 2001

Dr Dezube what is the general time frame from one Maligant cell to develop into an advanced disease such as in NHL STAGE 3/4.And in your experience how high are VL to cause HIV related Lymphoma.I was diagnosised and never had a VL higher than 26000 for One month only after a shingles outbreak then dropped tp 720 then 220 then undectable. T cells have been stable at 240 to 280.I had only just test pos prior and last hiv test was neg 12 months prior.Just trying to be informed and understand this disease that seems to have multiple faces.Thank you.P.S responding to chemo my sed rate was 55 in march now only 5.Completed second cycle out of 6.Makes me sicker than a dog but what can you do but cope?Thanks

Response from Dr. Dezube

I got this question twice today, but it looks like different patients based on VL and CD4 count. My answer's the same.

Lymphoma (as well as Kaposi's sarcoma) can occur at ANY time during the course of HIV infection. There is NO magic CD4 count number, above which one is safe from lymphoma. This is quite different than say PCP pneumonia (which typically occurs when CD4 < 200) or CMV retinitis (which typically occurs when CD4 < 50). Although lymphoma may be more aggressive in patients with low CD4 counts and high viral loads, this is not always the case.I've seen patients with lymphoma despite having a CD4 count of almost 1000. Virtually all patients with AIDS-related lymphoma should be taking highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). HAART therapy is the best assurance against tumor recurrence. I wish you luck. It sounds like you'll be half done in just a liitle while.

Previous
How can I have KS? I'm a straight man!
Next
Persistent Hot Spot on Gallium Scan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.