Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS and time frame of HIV infection?
May 27, 2001

I was wondering if you had any idea of the time frame between initial HIV infection and the appearance of Karposis Sarcoma? Is this a later symptom of the disease or does it occur early on? Thank you very much and I appreciate the assistance you are providing.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Kaposi's sarcoma can occur at ANY time during the course of HIV infection. There is NO magic CD4 count number, above which one is safe from KS. This is quite different than say PCP pneumonia (which typically occurs when CD4 < 200) or CMV retinitis (which typically occurs when CD4 < 50). Although KS is typically more aggressive in patients with low CD4 counts and high viral loads, this is not always the case. I've seen patients with aggressive KS despite having a CD4 count of 900 and an absent viral load, and likewise I've seen patients with very quiet KS despite a low CD4 count and high viral load. Virtually all patients with AIDS-related KS should be taking highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). HAART therapy both causes regression (shrinkage) of existing KS lesions and can block new lesions from forming.

Previous
This chemotherapy is too tough on me!!
Next
Can herbs cause a false negative hiv test result?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.