AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

This chemotherapy is too tough on me!!

Dr Dezube: Thanks for your very caring work on this site. I am currently on second regimen of chemotherapy for NHL,its oral chemotherapy consisting of CNU, Etoposide, Matulane, Cytoxan.I am having a very hard time tolerating this regimen,nothing has helped the nausea and vomiting.I haven't been able to eat since Saturday and its now Friday,just getting my HIV medsto stay down is so stressful.I ve tried Zofran,reglan,comparzine supps but the chemo has given me diarrhea so thats not a option.Even tried smoking Pot but that just made me feel worse.I have still 4 more cycles of this and i don't think i can do this.What other options are there, which i could switch too. Please don't think I am a wimp but i just can't go through this anymore.This regimen is too hard on me.What do you advise,thank you.

Response from Dr. Dezube

I do NOT think you are a wimp! Different people react to chemotherapy in all different ways. It's clear to me that an oral regimen may simply not be in your best inerest. Speak to your doctor about the various intravenous regimens which are quite effective. Although oral regimens offer some convenience over intravenous regimens, the oral ones are not for everyone. You mention that this is your second regimen. Without knowing what your first regimen was, it's hard for me to recommend the next regimen. However good examples of intravenous ones include CHOP, EPOCH, and CDE; all either with or without Rituximab. Don't give up buddy; work with your oncologist to find something that is more agreeable. GOOD LUCK.

Breast cancer in HIV women?
KS and time frame of HIV infection?