Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can Hep B Vaccine cause a false positive HIV test?
May 17, 2001

Help DOC! thanks BD for your time, I'm finding this site to be #1 HIV infosource!!! #1 As regular blood donator, I was suprised that my donation was rejected, due to false positive for HIV. Could it be do to 2nd series of Hepatitis B vaccination.

Q#2 Is the red cross donation center obligated do follow-ups if you are bad test donor?

Very confused, more worried, horribly embarressed! please help, thanks!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Two excellent questions 1) Can Hepatitis B vaccine cause false positive HIV test?? Apologies in advance for a lengthy answer.

Many vaccines can stimulate "cross-reacting" antibodies. It is definitely theoretically possible that the antibodies produced in response to the hepatitis B vaccine will cause a false positive reaction in the HIV ELISA test. HOWEVER, the laboratory will run a confirmatory Western Blot and if you are "false positive", then the Western Blot will be NEGATIVE.

One other alternative (albeit a long shot). Let's first ask why you got the Hepatitis B vaccine. Did you get it because your provider thought you are in a risk group which should be vaccinated, or did you get it because you were exposed to blood and your provider wanted to protect you? If the latter case is true, then how do I know that the blood exposure didn't contain HIV, so that the false positive is really a true positive.

2) The Donation center is indeed obligated to follow-up on positive tests.

(PS: You asked a whole bunch of other questions, which I had to cut our because of space considerations. You can re-ask them on a separate query if you wish}. BD.

Previous
Can I put my "stupid" mistake behind me?
Next
poorly-differentiated carcinoma/cancer of unknown primary-- what is it?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.