AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HIV vs. leukemia

Dr. Dezube, this may seem like a rather dumb question, in light of that i'll ask anyway. Is there ANY way a doctor could misdiagnose HIV for Leukemia or are they just 2 different animals?

Response from Dr. Dezube

They are really two different animals. A misdiagnosis would be most unusual. However, occasionally both of the diseases can cause funny looking cells in the blood system. It's not all that unusual for a care provider to call me up on one of his(her) patients to tell me that there are abnormal blood cells on the smear. Usually it's easy to differentiate between the two; on occasion (typically rare occasion) further blood tests are necessary.

Prolonged use of Testosterone and lymphoma risk
Lymphoma info from AIDS research.