AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

HIV+, Hep C, and lymphatic leukaemia

One of our users has HIV, Hep C, and Lymphatic Leukaemia. His CD4 count is artificially high, and he is now considering HIV therapy. Is there any advice you can give? A suggestion is Trizivir. Is there any info on the effects of these drugs on the Leukaemia? Thanks Brian

Response from Dr. Dezube

Brian, I am presuming he has Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), rather than the acute type. (The acute type would require a whole different treatment approach). Most of the HIV drugs have not been tested against CLL. I see no reason why you can't treat him like any other HIV-infected patient. The AZT in the trizivir was originally an anti-cancer agent. It will be very interesting to see if the AZT lowers his lymphocytic leukemia blood count. Theoretically it should. BD.

spreading lumps in my neck
Prolonged use of Testosterone and lymphoma risk