Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lung nodule, should we wait?
May 6, 2001

My husband (CD4 150, VL Non detectable) had a 2.5cm nodule show up on a CT scan in his lungs. The pulmonologist was unable to reach the nodule when he did a bronch. The pulmonologist said the nodule doesn't "look" like it is cancerous to him. A 2 month follow-up CT scan showed that the nodule hasn't increased (or decreased) in size. The Pulmonologist is just wanting to watch the nodule. (CT scan every 3 months for 2 years.) Is this normal proceure for this type of nodule?

Response from Dr. Dezube

No you should not wait. A nodule, particularly a 2.5 cm one, is NOT a normal finding. If the pulmonologist can not reach the nodule via bronch, then the next logical step would be a fine needle biopsy under CT guidance; basically this means that the radiologist, using the CT to guide him, places a needle directly in the nodule. This is the procedure which most of my patients in similar situations go through; it is a relatively easy procedure. I share with your concern about waiting since if your husband has a curable disease in his lung, you want to diagnose it as early as possible. Occasionally, we take such patients to the operating room to remove the nodule; in that way you solve two problems at once-- you get a diagnosis and you get rid of the nodule. Good luck. Please write back and tell me what the nodule turns out to be. BD.

Previous
How do I become a virologist?
Next
spreading lumps in my neck

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.