Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

neck nodes, sore throats, exhausted, possible hiv symtoms? what test should I have done?
May 2, 2001

DEAR DOC, PLEASE HELP!!! In Dec 00' I developed severe pneumonia like high fever sore throat, & dehydration for which I was treated. I was told it was a viral infection, no antibiotics were given.

Jan 16th 01' I developed cervical neck nodes, the treatment prescribed was antibiotics to treat these "neck cyst", having no effects on the nodes. Doctors did aspiration and full biopsys March 2 & 6th. Results were inconclusive. Doc thoughts were benign viral infection do to previous EBV or Mono. Currently I have persistent minor sore throat last 4 weeks and two neck nodes are still enlarged and I'm still very exausted. No Doctor suggested HIV test be done. After this test is done what other test should I have done? THANKS!!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

I'm glad to hear that you will get HIV tested. You need to know. Knowledge is power. You've already had lymph nodes biopsy. If not already done, you should have a chest x-ray, blood counts, liver function tests, LDH (a blood test), and perhaps a sed rate (another blood test). If all these tests are negative, then I would just recommend close follow-up, being seen perhaps monthly. I'm not sure anything else needs to be done, unless your symptoms get worse, or unless some of your tests point to an abnormality. Often the symptoms, which you describe, are the first signs of an internal illness; more often than not, the symptoms, which you describe, disappear without you ever knowing what caused them. Good luck. BD.

Previous
lymphoma- is stem-cell transplantation
Next
chemotherapy; am I getting enough

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.