Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lymphoma- is stem-cell transplantation
May 2, 2001

Can someone with HIV related Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma receive stem-cell transplantation? My brother's counts are not doing well and I need help. He's on Rituxin right now and currently started his HIV medications.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Stem cell transplantation, essentially a new and improved version of bone marrow transplantation, is indeed possible for patients with HIV-related lymphoma. It should not be taken lightly. It's reserved for patients whose tumors relapsed after their first course of chemotherapy. I would not recommend it unless two conditions can be met

1) The patient's HIV viral load must be under decent control with anti-reroviral drugs. 2) The patient's lymphoma is first controlled by salvage chemotherapy, i.e. the patient needs to be rendered almost disease free prior to the transplantation.

About 20 or so HIV patients with relapsed lymphoma have been reported to date. Some did well. Alot will depend upon your brother's overall health status and whether his tumor still responds to therapy.

Lastly, not all transplants are the same. Some centers do full stem cell transplants, others do mini-transplants (also known as transplant lite).

Previous
When (at what CD4 count) can KS Lesions develop?
Next
neck nodes, sore throats, exhausted, possible hiv symtoms? what test should I have done?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.