AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

KS development upon initial HIV infection?

I am worried that I was infected with HIV about 4 months ago and am waiting to get tested within the next month (for a more definitive result). I'm concerned about a few reddish brown lesions -- a bit smaller than a pencil eraser that have shown up on my arm. 2 showed up and then quickly went away. Another one showed up just yesterday (both incidents on my forearm). I know you can't offer a diagnosis over the internet, but from what I have read, these look like KS lesions. Is it possible for lesions like this to be associated with HIV so early in the HIV devleopment (during initial or early transmission)?? I thought KS was more of a full-blown AIDS symptom. I will get tested, but am trying to ease the anxiety a bit by getting a better of idea of what this spot is. As a side note, I am a young gay male and these blotches appeared almost immediately after using crystal meth. I guess I'm hoping that maybe they are reactions to the crystal, and not a sign of HIV infection. Sorry for the long question. Any thoughts would be great.

Response from Dr. Dezube

You need to get tested to put your mind to rest. Knowledge is power. You may need to get one of your lesions biopsied to find out what's really going on. You ask a very specific question-- Can KS appear upon initial HIV infection? It's possible, but highly unlikely. Most, but not all, patients with KS have some degree of immunosuppresion. Much of what you describe does not necessarily sound like HIV or KS to me, but the only way to know is to get tested.

Splotches and Blotches; Blood test for KS?
When (at what CD4 count) can KS Lesions develop?