The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Splotches and Blotches; Blood test for KS?
Apr 29, 2001

Hi doc, thanks for answering my question "Does KS come and go?" My next question I have asked many docs and no one seems to know the answer, maybe you have heard of this: I get splotches mainly on my face when I take a shower which goes away after a while. The same thing happens when I get hot or sweat or eat spicy food, when I do any of the above, the splotches are on my whole body and go away in time. Also when I get an insect bite( flea, spider, etc.) it swells up and turns real red and lasts for several days. I wonder if this is related to the spot under my eye. My doc did a blood test for KS antibody, will that show if I do have KS? I thought a biopsy was the thing to do. HIV thrives on inflammation, I need to find out what going on so I can stop this and improve my numbers. Any ideas? Thank You!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Splotches and blotches are not all that uncommon. They often just represent dilation (widening) of the blood vessels in response to heat (showers), foods and so on. I doubt they represent KS. The only way to diagnose KS with any degree of certainly is with a simple biopsy. There is NO blood test for KS. There is a blood test for an antibody to the virus (known as HHV-8) that causes KS. I would NOT recommend getting such a test since the vast majority of people with the antibody to this virus do NOT have KS. So if you get a positive blood test, it will only make you worried, and will not help at all in terms of telling you what you have. Hope this helps. BD.

KS lesion appears while receiving CHOP
KS development upon initial HIV infection?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint