AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Splotches and Blotches; Blood test for KS?

Hi doc, thanks for answering my question "Does KS come and go?" My next question I have asked many docs and no one seems to know the answer, maybe you have heard of this: I get splotches mainly on my face when I take a shower which goes away after a while. The same thing happens when I get hot or sweat or eat spicy food, when I do any of the above, the splotches are on my whole body and go away in time. Also when I get an insect bite( flea, spider, etc.) it swells up and turns real red and lasts for several days. I wonder if this is related to the spot under my eye. My doc did a blood test for KS antibody, will that show if I do have KS? I thought a biopsy was the thing to do. HIV thrives on inflammation, I need to find out what going on so I can stop this and improve my numbers. Any ideas? Thank You!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Splotches and blotches are not all that uncommon. They often just represent dilation (widening) of the blood vessels in response to heat (showers), foods and so on. I doubt they represent KS. The only way to diagnose KS with any degree of certainly is with a simple biopsy. There is NO blood test for KS. There is a blood test for an antibody to the virus (known as HHV-8) that causes KS. I would NOT recommend getting such a test since the vast majority of people with the antibody to this virus do NOT have KS. So if you get a positive blood test, it will only make you worried, and will not help at all in terms of telling you what you have. Hope this helps. BD.

KS lesion appears while receiving CHOP
KS development upon initial HIV infection?