AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Kaposis Sarcoma, symptoms?

Hello Dr. Dezube, I really appreciate what you are doing here. I have read everything I could find on Kaposis Sarcoma, and read somewhere that it spreads through the capillaries. I have a quarter sized flat spot on my foot that comes and goes, turns red in hot water, but causes no discomfort. I have no reason to believe I would be HIV positive. I tested negative just 2 months before the appearance of this spot. My question is: Have you ever heard of someone complaining of muscle spasms or what feels like "vein spasms" in their extremeties, perhaps related to KS? It is like my legs are constantly twitching in various spots. PLEASE help, my Doctor had no clue what could be going on. Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Dezube

It's hard to make a diagnosis over the internet. Nothing you described to me sounds like KS. The only sure way to make a sure diagnosis of KS is to biopsy a persistent pigmented spot. It doesn't sound like your spot is very persistent. It sounds like you need to follow up with your health provider, and if necessary see a specialist if the symptoms bother you and if the symptoms are persistent. Without seeing you, I'm not sure if you need to see a vascular doctor, a neurologist, or someone else. Your HIV negative result is reassuring.

Where do you get lymph nodes on your neck?
spots all over