AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Old ks spots, remaining after chemotherapy

I have been treated with Taxol for my KS, and the lesions have flattened but their are still a lot of purple spots left. How long does it take for these to go away? Is there anything else I can do?

Response from Dr. Dezube

You ask a very important question-- what to do with lesions persisting after a course of chemotherapy. It would be useful to know if you still had "active" KS. If so, then you may need to get more chemotherapy (either with Taxol or with a more mild form of chemo such as DaunoXome or Doxil). Alternatively you could treat the remaining lesions with panretin gel. This is a self-administered gel which causes active KS lesions to shrink and fade.

Some patients, however, are left with brown lesions after a course of chemotherapy. These brown lesions often represent "dead" KS. They are a result of breakdown pigment from the KS lesions. The best thing you can do for these lesions is to cover them up with make-up. You can go the cosmetic counter and get make-up, which matches your skin tone. Please see also the query and response to a question about such cover-up making (This response was posted earlier today). Hope this helps.

Is it swollen lymphnodes??
Are my symptoms related to HIV?