Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

tosillectomy- what will it do to my T cells?
Apr 22, 2001

How will a proposed tonsillectomy affect my T-cells and/or viral load? T's around 220 and V/L is under 2000.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Great question. The tonsils are part of the lymph node system. There have been at least 4 studies published in which investigators looked at the effect of removing lymph nodes, tonsils, or spleen (an organ which resembles a large lymph node) on CD4 cells. In each of these studes, there were NO deleterious effects. The viral loads did NOT increase. The CD4 counts did NOT decrease. In fact, in some of these studies, the CD4 cells went up because the lymph nodes/spleen could no longer serve as a trap for CD4 cells. Investigators also looked as to whether such surgeries will bring on full blown AIDS in a patient who is so far only HIV positive. These surgeries did NOT bring on full blown AIDS. So my advice to you, if you surgeon feels you should have your tonsils out, is to go for it. Hope this helps. BD.

Previous
lymphoma; new diagnosis and chest pain/esophagitis
Next
HIV testing Period

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.