AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Will I need anal surgeries for the rest of my life

Hello, Dr. D. What a surprise and delight to see you here. My name is Paul. I was in a research protocol with you in1997. A question: I have had ongoing problems with anal warts, I just completed my 4th surgery within 3 years (internal and external warts). Will I need these surgeries for the rest of my life? God bless you and the work you do. Also what were the results of that research study.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Dear Paul: Recurrent anal warts can certainly be quite a nuisance. They do indeed tend to recur. All you can do is try to lessen your chances. Aldara cream treats external warts quite well (it's applied 2-3 times/week). Occasionally Aldara cream is applied internally. I can't comment whether such treamtent would help in your case. It's important that you stay on your anti-retroviral medications since an intact immune system is a good defense against HPV disease (the virus which causes anal warts); however, even with a high CD4 counts, you can still get recurrent warts. Some surgeons treat the base of the warts with a CO2 laser to decrease recurrences. Keep your eyes open for HPV vaccine trials. Several sites in the U.S. have such trials; it will be a while before such a vaccine will be widely available. Lastly the importance of condoms can not be emphasized enought, particularly if you are a bottom. Good luck. BD (PS: I do indeed remember you from the 1997 protocol. If you want to discuss the results of that trial, give my office a call).

bloody semen
Non-Hodgkins and AIDS; my uncle