AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Does KS come and go?

Hi Doc.."m on Sutiva/Combivir with cd4's 239; Viral load undectectable. I have a reddish spot below and to the left of my left eye, about 5mm, oblong. It shows up for a while and then disappears for a few days and then reappears again. I have really dry skin and sometimes the spot is a little tender. Last time I went to see my doc it was gone and she said it was not KS. It came back again and is doing the same thing. Does KS ever act like this or does it always stay on the skin until treated? Thank You!!

Response from Dr. Dezube

In the early stages of KS, lesions can indeed come and go. Once, however, KS lesions are firmly established, they are usually there to stay until either they are treated or alternatively until your immune system begins to reconstitute (build itself anew). Since your viral load is undetectable, there is a good-to-excellent chance that your immune system will continue to improve. As this happens, KS lesions can indeed fade. If you really want to know whether or not you have KS, the easiest thing to do is to have one of the lesions biopsied. This is a relatively easy procedure. BD.

Brain tumor, HIV status unknown
bloody semen