AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Friend with kidney failure and K

ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO A FRIEND CAUGHT HERPES BY HER PRIVATE SPOT. SHE HAS BEEN TAKING MEDICATION FOR IT AND HAS IT CONTROL. AT THE AGE OF 50 YO SHE GOT VERY SICK AND WAS DIAGNOIS WITH KIDNEY FAILURE IN JULY,2000. 8 MTHS LATER SHE IS DIAGNOSED WITH K.S. SHE HAS TAKEN THE HIV TEST AND IT CAME BACK NEGATIVE TWICE. IM SO SCARED FOR HER I GO WITH HER TO ALL HER APOINTMENT AND IM VERY CONFUSE WITH ALL THE STUFF THAT DOCTORS TELL ME. I HAVE SEEN SO MANY DIFFERENT DOCTORS. IS THIS THE FIRST SIGN OF HIV? PLEASE HELP....

Response from Dr. Dezube

If your friend had a negative HIV test, then I doubt very much she has AIDS. What your friend may have is HIV negative KS. Classical KS existed way before the HIV virus was discovered. Classical KS tends to be less aggressive than HIV-related KS. I am not sure how kidney failure relates to this all, but sometimes kidney failure patients take certain medications (e.g. drugs which suppress the immune system), which can bring on KS.

HHV-8 without HIV virus
Brain tumor, HIV status unknown