AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

MGUS; is this a death sentence?

I am 58. A year ago, in diagnosing possible fibromyalgia, an MGUS was discovered. Since then I have had two more tests. My IgA went from 521 to 543 to 559. IgM went from 48 to 47 to 51. IgG is in the normal range. I am afraid of developing multiple myeloma because I think it's incurable and sounds like a death sentence. What do you think?

Response from Dr. Dezube

I appreciate your fears and I will try not to minimize your concerns. HOWEVER, the situation, as you describe it, does not merit such pessimism. MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance) is nothing more than the presence of an abnormal protein in the blood. The vast majority of patients with MGUS do NOT go on to develop myeloma; only a fraction of them do. I can't tell from your query as to whether or not you are HIV positive. MGUS can occur from time to time in patients with HIV. As the HIV is treated, the MGUS often goes away by itself. Most people who have MGUS don't even know they have it, and there's no reason they should go and be diagnosed, because we do nothing more for MGUS, other than to follow the level of the protein from time to time (a few times a year). In the unlikely event, that you do indeed develop myeloma, then many treatments are available for that condition also. Hope this helps. BD.

Lactic Acidosis
Large swollen gland that won't go away