AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Little red spots? Is this KS?

Hi Dr. Dezube: I had a potential exposure about 3 years ago. At 6 months, I tested negative for HIV. A few months ago, I had an upper respiratory infection that took 3/4 rounds of antibiotics to clear up. Because of that, I had another HIV test that was negative. Not sure of the results, I had a third test 2 months later, also negative. I have developed small red spots a little larger than a pinpoint all over my body that seem to be multiplying quickly. Most of them whiten upon applying pressure. Some continue to be red. My dermatologist said that they are most likely the presence of small capalaries at the surface of the skin and are of no concern. He said that this could be part of the aging process (I'm 43 and male). I'm also having night sweats (stress?). I've had a negative chest x-ray, negative abdominal CT, and negative for TB. All "typical" bloodwork is OK with no signs of general infection. My doctor says that given the negative HIV tests that there is no HIV. However, I'm concerned about the night sweats and red spots. Are these indicative/symptomatic of HIV infection? Sorry for the long question. Thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although it's impossible to make any type of diagnosis over the internet, what you describe does not sound like KS. Given that you are HIV negative, KS is a bit unusual (though not imposible). The only way to know for sure what the red spots on your chest are is to have one of the lesions biopsied. This is a relatively minor procedure. If you are still having night sweats, you need to see an internist, family doctor, or other such provider. Night sweats often come and go; what is more worrisome is when they persist. Your negative chest x-ray, abdominal CT, and TB tests are all quite reassuring. BD.

KS blister? Do I have KS?
Lactic Acidosis