Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Little red spots? Is this KS?
Apr 2, 2001

Hi Dr. Dezube: I had a potential exposure about 3 years ago. At 6 months, I tested negative for HIV. A few months ago, I had an upper respiratory infection that took 3/4 rounds of antibiotics to clear up. Because of that, I had another HIV test that was negative. Not sure of the results, I had a third test 2 months later, also negative. I have developed small red spots a little larger than a pinpoint all over my body that seem to be multiplying quickly. Most of them whiten upon applying pressure. Some continue to be red. My dermatologist said that they are most likely the presence of small capalaries at the surface of the skin and are of no concern. He said that this could be part of the aging process (I'm 43 and male). I'm also having night sweats (stress?). I've had a negative chest x-ray, negative abdominal CT, and negative for TB. All "typical" bloodwork is OK with no signs of general infection. My doctor says that given the negative HIV tests that there is no HIV. However, I'm concerned about the night sweats and red spots. Are these indicative/symptomatic of HIV infection? Sorry for the long question. Thanks for your response.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although it's impossible to make any type of diagnosis over the internet, what you describe does not sound like KS. Given that you are HIV negative, KS is a bit unusual (though not imposible). The only way to know for sure what the red spots on your chest are is to have one of the lesions biopsied. This is a relatively minor procedure. If you are still having night sweats, you need to see an internist, family doctor, or other such provider. Night sweats often come and go; what is more worrisome is when they persist. Your negative chest x-ray, abdominal CT, and TB tests are all quite reassuring. BD.

Previous
KS blister? Do I have KS?
Next
Lactic Acidosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.