The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Molluscum Contagiosum??
Apr 2, 2001

What does that mean??? My gyno says i have it..and i really don't know what that means. I understand it's a virus. is it curable w/out drugs? what about sexual activities(including oral, touching)? what should i do? is it very contagious? i havent even had sex for a year and it(these,about 3, little pimple-like bumps) just recently showed up. Although it's possible i had a little bump similar, that i scrubbbed w/ a loafa because i thought it was a ingrown went away. is it known to come and go?help!

Response from Dr. Dezube

Molluscum contagiosum (MC) is usually a self-limited viral infection. Typically they appear as skin-colored bumps which often have a dimple in the center. In HIV-infected patients, MC can be quite severe, particularly on the face. Children get MC quite commonly. MC can be spread from child-to-child via skin contact. MC is also transmitted during sexual activity. They can even spread by shaving. In non-HIV infected individuals, MC usually persist for up to 6 months and then go away by themselves. In HIV'ers, MC usually are more persistent. MC can be readily removed by a dermatologist or other practictioner with a small curette (type of instrument), by freezing them off with liquid nitrogen or by other techniques. My best advice, which I can give to you, is to have your MC removed. If you have them removed, sexual activity should be okay. Hope this helps. BD.

very low platelet counts
KS blister? Do I have KS?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint