AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Surgery for KS?

Is KS ever removed via surgery? My friend was diagnosed at a major cancer center with "probable" KS on his face and the docs wanted to cut. This was a surprise to me, but perhaps this is one of the methods. Needless to say, my friend declined for the moment and remains terrified at any and all prospects. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Although surgery is occasionally used for the treatment of KS, I usually recommend against this form of treatment. There are so many better forms of therapy for KS (radiation, liquid nitrogen, panretin gel, chemotherapy administered directly into the lesion, and so on). Also the healing process from the surgery can lead to even more KS. Your friend should also be taking potent HIV drugs if he is not already doing so.

Vitamins and HIV testing
very low platelet counts