AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

blood spilling on you

Dear Dr. Dezube, I am a lesbian and have never had heterosexual intercourse. However, when working, a bleeding co-worker asked me to put a band-aid on him. I did and blood spilled over my hand, he has since tested HIV+. At the time I had a cut in my hand. It wasn't an open cut, but since I was working with ice, it was moist but not bleeding. Since no blood was coming out I figure the HIV infection couldn't come in. I washed immediately with soap. How small are the chances of infection in these cases.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Based upon your story, your chances of getting infected are quite remote, particularly since your wound was not open. Nevertheless I would indeed suggest that you get tested to put your mind at rest. Obviously in the future, it would pay to use gloves whenever you dress a wound.

Dirty EMG needle poke.
Vitamins and HIV testing