AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Dirty EMG needle poke.

Dr. Please Im going insane, On January 24, 2001 I believe I was poked with a solid (EMG) needle, I was tested 71/2 weeks after and the tests revealed I was negative. What are the possibilities of me catching anything, the time lapse of me and another patient was about 2-3 minutes. My Dr. believes it's post-traumatic syndrome, I'm worried sick. Is the SALIVA test accurate, when, where , what whould I do? please help????

Response from Dr. Dezube

The likelihood of developing HIV from an EMG needle is incredibly remote. I would really doubt you are HIV positive, based on the information you provide in your query. The current recommendation is that you get tested up to 6 months after the needle stick. Again, it's very likely for you to get infected this way. I see no reason for you to get the saliva test instead of a blood test. I would suggest that you speak with your provider about getting help for your anxiety.

New aches and pains..
blood spilling on you