AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Swollen glands- Does it mean I have HIV

Where do swollen glands occur. I had a very large swollen gland on one side of my groin for months until it went down and I still get twinges there. However i have had no swollen glands elsewhere and I recover form any rare flu etc very rapidly. Does this sound like symptoms of HIV.

Please answer as I am very worried

Response from Dr. Dezube

A swollen gland is nothing more than an enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes are part of the body's immune system. They enlarge in response to infection and in response to many many other insults to the immune system. Although they enlarge in response to HIV, they also enlarge in response to most viruses including the common cold. So although most HIV'ers will have enlarged lymph nodes as they try to fight off HIV, most people with enlarged lymph nodes do NOT have HIV. If you are concerned about HIV, you need to get tested. Occasionally when lymph nodes swell to an unusually large size, your health care provider will ask that one of them be biopsied. Lymph nodes are typically found in just about most parts of the body (i.e. neck, armpit, groin, chest, abdomen, elbow, knee, and so on).

monoclonal gammapathy; what's the significance
Lymphoma- When did I get it