AIDS-Related CancersAIDS-Related Cancers

Cannabis & HIV

Hi Dr. Dezube, I was just wondering approximately how many AIDS physicians that you are aware of that would be likely to "prescribe" cannabis (smoked) to their patients, and if you would yourself (taking into consideration its obvious, yet unfounded illegality)? (for the indication of cachexia) It has also been reported (very recently) in an in vivo study that the administration of cannabis significantly decreased brain tumors in rats as compared to control (studies done in Spain). Have you heard of any AIDS-related anti-neoplastic indications of cannabis? As an HIV+ person myself, I derive great relief from a myriad of HIV-related symptoms from using cannabis, and although I don't have KS (or any other related cancers), I was wondering if you were aware of these possible medical utilities of cannabis? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Given the public nature of this forum, I'm not in a position to comment on cannabis. I will say however that I do prescribe Marinol, which is an oral cannabinoid derivative (i.e. similar to cannabis) for two conditions--

1) loss of appetite in HIV-infected patients

2) nausea and vomiting in association with chemotherapy

Do people without HIV, but with NHL have low CD4's? Timing of diagnosis
Kaposis Sarcoma - I'm scared to death; Do I have KS or HIV?